Saturday, July 28, 2012

Bears and Food

"I saw a bear" (I saw a bear) "Out in the woods" (out in the woods) "A great big bear" (a great big bear) "A way out there" (a way out there).  I saw a bear out in the woods. . . a great big bear a way out there. . .". Love that camp song!


Mama bears in Yellowstone don't resemble Yogi at all.  I "bearly" (hehe) remember the two cubs.  I wish I had a picture to show you, but my entire family was on horseback at the time.  I was a bit too freaked out about loosing my kids in the wilderness to stop and take a picture!  So, here we are minus the bears:



When we went to Yellowstone (a few years back), I quickly learned that we had packed WAY TOO MUCH FOOD.  My "turtle trailer" is a pop-up and all food must be stored in the van overnight.  Moving a week's worth of food for a family of four every night was a huge hassle.  Then again, so was driving two hours to Cody, WY to find the closest grocery store of any size. 

I need to find a good balance this time, and will start with a menu of recipes we can take into a grocery store in Great Falls, Montana.  I've got a lot of time between here and there to write out some "one-liner" meals.  From what I've read, this is the last major town we'll visit before heading into Glacier.

There's a foodie gal, Jesseca, I'm following on Pinterest that has rounded up a fair amount of fun camping recipes on her blog.  I also saw a tin foil trout recipe in case we catch a few.   I'll take a look at them, and also ask my two boy scouts what camp food they are sick of this year.  You can only eat so many tinfoil dinners! 

Before we go, I always make and freeze a couple of homemade goodies.  Trail Mix, a sweet treat for on the road and this year I'm going to try making "Baked Oatmeal".  I'll post the results and recipes, so check back soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Buttons